Tips to create a dessert station that will impress
Ever wondered how those incredible cake displays and dessert tables come to life? Well today we chat to sweet tooth Jo Hameister, the master baker behind The Cake and I . Read on as Jo shares with us some ideas and trends in the dessert making biz – and a warning, this is definitely not a sugar-free zone!
- First consider your foundation and what your desserts will sit on. A bar looks really effective and you could also use a high bar, a smaller dry bar for a stand alone cake or a banquet table for more opulent displays.
- Use different heights of display to add interest. These might be pedestal cake stands like this, boxes, timber logs, plinths, platters or even an upturned bowl with a beautiful plate on top.
- A cute idea is to label the different desserts displayed. Chat to a stationery designer for some ideas to tie in with your invites and menus.
- Have a focal point – a full cake is a good idea and this can be displayed on a taller box or stand for impact
- Work with a florist for decorating your desserts. They are a simple way to add a beautiful touch without all that fondant work! A bare cake with roses can be classic.
- ‘Cocktail’ desserts are on trend at the moment. Some ideas for these bite size yums are mini lemon meringue pies, white chocolate rocky road, individual chocolates, chocolate berry squares, baby cupcakes, chocolate tarts and Jo’s current favourite – a vegan couverture chocolate and freeze dried raspberry chocolate crackle!! Ready for dessert yet? 😉
- Cake trends have changed over the years from heavier chocolate mud cakes to some lighter flavours like lemon, lime and bitters; lime; lemon, vanilla and the use of flowers.
- We love this afternoon tea idea: instead of serving the cake at the end of the night when most have had their fill of a meal and drinks, offer your guests and perhaps those not attending the ceremony a sweet bite after the ceremony, whether it be in a park or outside your ceremony venue.
Thank you Jo for sharing your delicious tips and insight into sweet treats with us! We have a range of goodies to assist with your dessert table styling so make sure to drop by the showroom where these are on display.